The Living Hope series
The Pillars of the Christian Faith
The death and resurrection of Jesus Christ are the pillars of our faith; something that is unique to Christianity. They are the bases for Christ’s offer of forgiveness here and now that sets people free to live.
There is no better or higher expression of God’s love for mankind than the finished redemptive work of our Savior Jesus Christ. As our substitute and representative, Jesus was crucified that we may die to sin (freed from sin’s dominion) and was raised to life that we may live a new life – a life of righteousness in Christ (Romans 6).
- The death and resurrection of Christ gave us access to the presence of God.
- “At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom.” Matt. 27:51a
- Jesus conquered sin!
- As Christians, we must overcome sin.
- The death and resurrection of Christ gave us freedom from the curse of the Law.
- “The earth shook and the rocks split.” Matt. 27:51b; cf. Ex. 19:16ff; Heb. 12:18-24
- Jesus fulfilled the Law!
- As Christians, we must live in God’s grace.
- The death and resurrection of Christ gave us assurance of our own resurrection.
- “The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus’ resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many people.” Matt. 27:52-53
- Jesus defeated death!
- As Christians, we must proclaim this Good News.