Keeping Up series
The Epidemic of Entitlement
“Entitlement creates an inward, self-focused, self-centered person. The sheer nature of the message is the importance, rights and benefits YOU deserve. We become the focus and the means to the end. God is reduced to someone who helps me get what I believe I am entitled to.” - Greg Simas
How do we loosen the grip of the sinful disposition of entitlement?
- Foster an attitude of FAITH (vv. 1-3; cf. 11:1, 6, 13-16; 24-27).
- God is the author and perfecter of our faith. We fix our eyes on Jesus.
- Eternity is a reality, not an absurdity. Therefore, long for a better dwelling place!
- Foster an attitude of GRATITUDE (vv. 4-6; cf. 11:3; 12:28-29; Psalm 63).
- God owes us nothing. We owe Him everything.
- Life is a gift, not an entitlement. Therefore, lift up your hands and praise His Name!
- Foster an attitude of DISCIPLINE (vv. 7-12; cf. James 1:2-4).
- God is our loving Father. He disciplines those He loves.
- Pain is a teacher, not a disease. Therefore, learn to be holy in the midst of adversity!