Keeping Up series
The Curse of Comparison
“We say that people are proud of being rich, or clever, or good-looking, but they are not. They are proud of being richer, or cleverer, or better-looking than others.” — C.S. Lewis, author
“I wish I looked like Cindy Crawford” — Cindy Crawford, model
How do we free ourselves from the curse of comparison?
- Three Types of Comparison Traps ("Counterfeit Identities")
- Performance Trap: “I am what I do.”— v2-4
- Pride Trap: “I am what others think (or say) about me.” — v5-7
- Possession Trap: “I am what I have.” — v8-11
When comparison increases, contentment decreases.
- Who (or what) is going to define your worth? —
1 Cor. 3:21-4:7 (see Hebrews 12:1-2; 1 Cor. 9:24-26)
Some practical steps….
Conclusion: We are the church — the body of Christ.