Journey to P.E.A.C.E.
Let’s continue our next attraction in our Journey to P.E.A.C.E.! Our destination is A, which means “Assist the Poor”. Before we depart, let us prepare ourselves with a prayer.
“Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for guiding me throughout the Journey to P.E.A.C.E. May you show me the way, prepare me to be your servant, humbly receive your teaching, and be able to action on your Word. May the presence of the Holy Spirit show me how I can contribute in the area of “Assist the Poor”.
In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.”
The Scripture is the essential fuel source for Christians. Our attitude and action should be rooted in His Word. Let’s fill up!
27 Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.
James 1:27 (New Living Translation)
Through His Word, we may be able to see His plan.
Let’s S-L-O-W-L-Y read aloud James 1:27 three times. In this secular world, how do people usually define religion? Citing from Dictionary.com, one of their definitions of religion is “a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.” This definition sounds logical. How about in the eyes of God, what does religion mean to God? In James 1:27, God defines pure and genuine religion as caring for the orphans and the widows. Often times, we are so focused with our daily responsibilities that caring for people we know seems to be an easier and natural desire. The passage here is challenging our awareness of the people around who are under distress. In addition to caring for others, God wants us to stand firm for our faith and not let the world corrupt us. God knows how easy it is for us to lose sight of our faith in God when caring for others. Our sinful nature, our pride, and sometimes hidden desire to show others the greatness WE have when caring for the needy will stray us from the teaching of Jesus Christ. How great is our God who knows our weaknesses! Let us pray for God’s sensitivity and awareness to assist the poor and needy people around us. At the same time, may we pray and ask God to protect us and not let the world corrupt us.
After knowing God’s plan, let’s go for THE experience by putting His Word into Actions!
So, what are the options to assist the poor?
Here are some options and suggestions:
Prayers – believe it or not, prayer is one of the most powerful supports. A prayer walk in a community through observing the needy and praying in your heart is a good starting point. God listens to genuine and pure prayers. Do ask the Holy Spirit to be with you and guide you, and build awareness, sensitivity and the courage to reach out and assist the poor eventually.
- Serving – a number of local ministries are aiming to assist the poor in our community such as making sandwiches for the homeless (Sandwich Run), caring for families living in shelters, and building houses for the poor (Habitat Humanity). For international ministries, there are P.E.A.C.E. trips where you can assist the orphans and the poor. For detail exploration, please visit: http://rhccc.ca/peace/area-covered/ to get inspiration.
- Offering – there are many organizations/missionaries assisting the poor that need our financial support. Please pray for awareness and let God guide you when giving an offering.
- Be creative! Let God work! Please pray very hard, and God may speak to you in a surprising way. He will guide you in a direction that you may have never imagined.
Final Destination Checklist
After all, we need to make sure we hit all the items in His checklist during our trip.
Assist the Poor Checklist:
- Awareness of the people who are under distress
- Assist the poor, the orphans and the widows
- Check our attitude and our motive
- Be pure and genuine
- Not let the world corrupt us
- Stand firm for our faith