Journey to P.E.A.C.E.
Let’s continue our next attraction in our Journey to P.E.A.C.E.! Our destination is C, which means “Care for the Sick”. Before we depart, let us prepare ourselves with a prayer.
“Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for the opportunity to learn more about you through this journey to PEACE. May your Holy Spirit guide me and bless me with the wisdom to understand your teaching. May you help us to be aware of the needs of the people around us, especially in caring for the sick.
In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.”
The Scripture is the essential fuel source for Christians. Our attitude and action should be rooted in His Word. Let’s fill up!
15 Such a prayer offered in faith will heal the sick
James 5:15 (New Living Translation)
1 Faith is the confidence that what we hope will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.
Hebrews 11:1 (New Living Translation)
Through His Word, we may be able to see His plan.
Let’s S-L-O-W-L-Y read aloud James 5:15 three times. How do we feel when we encounter sick people? Do we feel helpless? Sometimes, we can’t do anything to heal the sick other than giving kind words and comfort, unless we are doctors/nurses who have the ability to diagnose and administer medication. Although we cannot provide medical support, kind words and prayers are just as important to the weak! The good news from James 5:15 is that a prayer offered in FAITH will heal the sick!! What an encouraging message from God! What is a faithful prayer? This is rather abstract, isn’t it? Let’s reference Hebrew 11:1 for the biblical definition of faith. “Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.”
I have personally experienced this assurance from faithful prayers. This happened when after graduating from university. My grandfather was terminally ill from cancer, and he was in a coma. The doctor told us to arrange all the relatives to see him one last time before his passing. My relatives from Hong Kong and the UK were on their way to see my dying grandfather, with an arrival time on a Sunday afternoon. With my youthful faith at the time, I boldly dashed to my Reverend that Sunday morning before he went into the congregation to preach, “Reverend, may I ask you to include my dying grandfather in prayer and ask God, if He’s willing, to wake him up so he could see all his sons, daughter and grandchildren one last time! Thank you!” The Reverend kindly included my prayer item in his prayer, and my phone rang before the service was over. It was a phone call from my uncle and when I called back, he said on the phone, “Your grandfather just woke up from his coma!!” I was in total disbelief!! More importantly, my grandfather woke up and the first thing he said to my relatives according to them was, “You must seek Jesus! I had an encounter with Him!” God woke up my grandfather from his coma to glorify Him!! Although my grandfather is no longer with us, God had shown us His power and in His time with His purpose where in this incident, His name was glorified. He allowed me to experience the power of prayer.
I hope my personal story will encourage you to care for the sick with God. We are limited as humans, and only with God can we truly care for the sick in an effective way.
After knowing God’s plan, let’s go for THE experience by putting His Word into Actions!
So, what are the options to care for the sick?
Here are some options and suggestions:
- Prayers – yes, this is very powerful. James 5:15 describes that a prayer offered in faith will heal the sick. Let us ask God to allow us to be sensitive to the sick around us, and have a compassionate heart to care for them through offering prayers in faith.
- Serving – there are local ministries where you can care for the sick. For international ministries, there are P.E.A.C.E. trips which support medical groups, such as the Changing Times Ministry (in Kenya). This ministry has provided medical care to over 50,000 individuals from its beginning. For exploring more details, please visit: http://rhccc.ca/peace/area-covered/ to get inspiration.
- Offering – there are many organizations/missionaries related to caring for the sick that need our financial support. Please pray for awareness, and let God guide you in your offerings.
- Be creative! Let God work! Please pray very hard, and God may speak to you in a surprising way. He will guide you in a direction that you might have never imagined.
Final Destination Checklist
After all, we need to make sure we hit all the items in His checklist during our trip.
Care for the Sick Checklist:
- Sensitivity to the sick people [around us]
- Be compassionate to physical and spiritual needs
- Work with the Holy Spirit to care for the sick
- Offer prayers in faith
- Practice faithfulness and trust in God
- Let God reveal His plan and watch Him heal the sick in His time